25.3.11

the angels know you well

you have fathered a
child with me
you had your night
of fun
if you no longer want
the love my
beautiful body can yield
At least take care of
that
Holy infant my heart
has become
God, you sired an heir
with me
When you gave birth
to my soul.
I thought of complaining
to all the angels
Last night
about your treatment
of this "Homeless Child"
But then I remembered
they too
Have a long list of
love-complaints
Because
They also know you so
well
- Hafiz (trans. Daniel Ladinsky)

at dinner with a friend tonight, upon her insistence that i had loaned her this book of poems by Hafiz,
i picked up the book and it opened on this page, i felt drawn to it as it spoke to me of struggles in my own life and i resonated with the birthing of the soul. It is said by the wise ones, that when you seek something, all that you are seeking, also seeks you. over the dinner of peanut stewed bottle gourd and strawberry kheer (vegan, made with coconut milk instead of dairy and ghee and sans oil) the conversation steered towards relationships, and how marriage and contract-hood in a relationship only makes it rigid and susceptible to breakage akin to the brittleness of glass. if a structure and conformity is imposed from outside, does the relationship get a chance to gain the strength from within, and with this loss of the responsibility to reaffirm the relationship on a daily basis, comes the loss of freedom. and without freedom the denial of self and compromise come in, and then there are just too many parties in the relationship or marriage and it is a crowded affair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment